Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Light Burden

When we're depressed and sad and we feel lonely and like we have no place to turn, why is it that we don't ask God to take our load from us and help us to walk in His paths.  In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest for your soul.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  So why don't we come unto Him?  His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

It's because we're stubborn and sinful creatures.  Maybe we want to, but just can't  bring ourselves to do it right now; we'll do it later when we're not doing anything else.  Or maybe we feel like we've been away from Him for so long that we're not worthy of His love. 

Jesus is pleading with us, "Come unto me...".  He wants us to come to Him so that He can bear our burden for us.  He wants us to rest in Him!  Isn't that amazing?!  Why can't we just give up our stubborn hearts and ask Him for a pure heart, a "heart of flesh"? 

Jesus is also commanding us, "Come unto me...".  If we don't obey that command we will have our just reward -- in Hell.  But if we do obey, what peace we shall have! 

The Saviour is calling "Come".  And He's calling now.  The time to call on Him is now, while there is still time.

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."   --Psalm 42:11

No comments:

Post a Comment