Friday, December 23, 2016

Trust the Lord


Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

For a long time, this has been one of my favorite passages in Scripture. It’s been my go-to in the roughest times of my life. Trust in the LORD, it says. Begin with trusting the Lord. Sadly, sometimes our own ego makes this easier said than done. With all thine heart, it further beckons. Don’t keep anything hidden away for yourself when you bring it to God. Lean not unto thine own understanding, it pleads. Don’t try and figure it out on your own. Don’t for one second believe you can do it without the Lord. In all thy ways acknowledge him, it commands. Every single thought you have about whatever it is you’re dealing with, give it to God. And he shall direct thy paths, it grants. Having done all these things, the Lord will lead us to where He wants us to be and where we will grow the most in Him.

I am fairly used to holding on to things I really want with all my might and not letting God bear the burden for me. This has always led eventually to me getting dragged further and further down into a state of being that even I did not like. It seemed when I was finally brought to my lowest and, many times, not until then, I would then give it to God and oh, what a physical weight was lifted off of my being when I surrendered to God. The Lord wants to help His children and if we will only come to His throne of grace we would find mercy (Heb. 4:16 – another of my favorites). He will always be there and He will never turn His own away. After all, what is there on earth or in heaven that could possibly separate us from the love of Christ (Rom. 8:35)? That great love made us joint-heirs with Him in glory (Rom. 8:17). He will never leave us or forsake us (Heb. 13:5), despite the many times we attempt to run from Him and His will. There are so many promises from the Savior that we turn our backs on by not bringing our burdens to the Lord.

Oh, that He would cleanse me and create a new and clean heart in me (Ps. 51:10). Oh that I would be more like Him. And oh, that I would trust Him with my whole heart and not rely on my own strength and that I would always find Him in every circumstance in my life. Oh Lord, guide me on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment