Friday, July 4, 2014

Life ~ Your Story

We all have multiple little stories going on in our lives, shaping us into who we are and who we will become.  But if we take a few steps back and look at things in a different light, all those little stories are really pieces of one big puzzle, creating one big story - your life.

I used to look at my life like it was a bunch of different stories.  If one story ended, but didn't have a good ending, well then, that was it.  There was no way there would ever be a happy ending to that part of my life.

I don't really like to get into personal details of why I write my posts, but for the sake of getting across what I'm trying to say in an understandable way, I'll bend that rule.  So, for example: college.  When I was nineteen I really wanted to go to college to study music.  Well, something happened and I didn't get to go.  I had always wanted to go to college, to get a higher education and here I was, nineteen years old, and there was a possible opportunity for me to go.  But it fell through.  I was so upset that I couldn't go to college that year that I was fed up with being excited about college at all.  It changed what I wanted.  I now greatly disliked the idea of going to college.

I didn't have a desire to go to college again until close to two years later.  However, this time was different.  Everything fell into place this time and I became a college student.  I suppose I just wasn't ready to be that far into the world when I was nineteen.  Looking back I can see I was a very impressionable girl and I might easily have strayed in my thinking and beliefs.  I know God knew this and I believe this is one of the reasons why He prevented me from going to college too soon.

Just because God may throw a wrench in your plans for the time being, that doesn't necessarily mean He will never grant us what it is that we want.  When I was nineteen I thought I'd never go to college.  God may just be waiting for the right time to bestow that thing.

There was another time when I thought it was the end of another story in my life.  This time, though, the disappointment was much greater than when I found out I couldn't go to college.  But God leads us to places that are far better than we could ever try to put ourselves in.  His ways are mysterious, but they are the best.  The way He worked that part of my life out really is amazing and I thank Him for it.

All these little stories in our lives have different meanings and happen for different reasons, but they're all part of one big story.  And that story is the story of us: how we react to things, the way we treat people, the ways we try to glorify God.  It's who we are.  If something doesn't happen the way we specifically want it to, that doesn't mean it's the end.  We still have choices to make and other things to do.  Life goes on and if we have to leave some things behind, then so be it.  God will take care of you.

I think I found the following on Pinterest:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world would end, 
it became a butterfly.  

Each time something really disappointing happened in my life, I thought the world would end.  Not literally, but I felt like there was no point to anything anymore.  I mean, everything I was trying to do and put all my effort into doing fell apart, so I felt like what's the use if it all ends up this way?  But it's not the end of the world.  One of my good friends gave me some great encouragement once by saying, "If it's not what God has for you at this time, then He has something better for you.  It may not be the same thing, but I guarantee you it will be better."

So you see, all these little stories in our lives, the good, the bad; the devastating, the joyful; are not really separate stories.  They're one story, all leading up to one purpose.  It's your life.  Live it in a way that's pleasing to God.  Trust Him and He will guide you through your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment